Tips for Finding Leaks
Leaks: Where to Find Them & What to Do
Plumbing leaks can be very stressful and dangerous. Not only do they increase the water bills, damage walls and ceilings, but they also can ruin furniture, flooring, electrical systems, electronics and more. Sometimes leaks are obvious, but sometimes they’re hidden and go unnoticed for some time. That’s where we at A-Plus Priority Plumbing come in…if you’re experiencing a leak in the Atlanta, GA area, we will hunt the leak down and we fix it before it causes severe destruction.
Where to Find Hidden Leaks in Your Home
- Check Your Meter- This is the easiest way to determine if your home is suffering from a leak. Turn off your water meter and pay close attention to it: Is it changing? If your water meter moves when you know for sure no water is being used, then there is a leak.
Check Your Water Bill- If your water bill been running unusually high, without explanation, then you may have a leak.
Do Your Homework- Regularly check places such as the toilet base, shower, ceilings, cabinets, walls and basement corners for mold, discoloration or pooling water. Being proactive and doing your homework will help you avoid serious repairs if you catch a problem early.
Too Late? Already Have a Leak?
Below are some steps to take if you already have experienced a leak:
- React! The first step is to acknowledge that you are experiencing a plumbing emergency. Next, you MUST locate the water shut off valve. By shutting off the water, you will stop all additional water from entering your home, thus minimizing water damage drastically.
- After you shut-off the water, it is a good idea to open all sink faucets to drain the water from the pipes to further decrease the chances of more damage.
- Don’t attempt to fix these issues yourself; you’ll run the risk of further damage. Now would be the time to contact an emergency local plumber in the Atlanta, Georgia area, such as A-Plus Priority Plumbing. With 24/7 emergency services and seven locations throughout Georgia, we will be there when you need us.
- While waiting for A-Plus Priority Plumbing to arrive, begin to remove furniture, electronics and any other valuable items from the area. This will potentially prevent them from being ruined from water damage.
- Once the situation is under control, discuss with A-Plus Priority Plumbing their Water Restoration Solutions, which includes the following:
- Water extraction
- Removaing of unsalvageable material
- Thorough cleaning, disinfecting and deodorizing
- Hauling away of any dangerous debris.
Knowing where to look and what to do are the best ways to avoid the potential destruction and danger of a leak. If you’re concerned you may have a leak, don’t delay. Contact us and we will schedule an emergency appointment to come out, diagnose your leak and fix it before major water damage has occurred.
Tags: 24/7 emergency plumbing services ,diy plumbing ,emergency plumbing ,leaks ,leaky pipe ,pipe repair ,plumbing ,plumbing service ,Tiling ,Water ,water damage