Tankless vs. Conventional Water Heaters
Tank or Tankless? We’ll Help You Decide.
Weighing your water heater options? Here we will discuss the differences, pros and cons of both tankless and conventional tank based water heaters.
- A traditional water heater stores and preheats 30-50 gallons of water located in a tank. The preheated water is then used whenever someone showers, does laundry or washes dishes. The tank will then refill to be reheated again.
- A tankless water heater uses a heat source (either electric or gas) to warm up water on-demand whenever you need it, rather than storing gallons of water in a tank.
Pros and Cons of both Traditional and Tankless Water Heaters
Traditional Water Heaters
- Lower Cost- A traditional water heater installation is much less involved than a tankless water heater.
- Easy to Replace– There are typically less installation complications means that there’s less that can go wrong.
- Higher Utility Bill- Water being heated and reheated at a pre-selected temperature increases your utility bill.
- Can Run Out- Even the largest of tanks can still run out of hot water if water is being run for too long.
- Large Tank- They occupy a bit of room and need a decent amount of space.
Tankless Water Heaters
- Saves Money (Longterm)- More energy efficient than conventional storage tank water heaters.
- Hot water on demand- You’ll never run out of hot water.
- Doesn’t Take up Space – They are very small and do not take up a lot of space.
- Longer Life – Lasts 20+ years per unit.
- Higher Cost– Costs about 3x the amount of a conventional tank water heater.
So…which is best?
The “best” may differ for each individual, because everyone has different needs. You need to choose the water heater that best fits your water usage, lifestyle, space and budget. However, if you are shopping for a new water heater, feel free to contact us for more information and pricing.
Tags: 24/7 emergency plumbing services ,other ,tankless water heater ,tankless water heater installation ,tankless water heater repair ,Water Heater ,water heater maintenance ,water heater repair ,water tank installation ,water tank replacement